about us
Since 1998, MarineBio has been a nonprofit volunteer marine conservation and science education group working together to spread the word about ocean life, marine biology, marine conservation, and a sea ethic.

Join the MarineBio Conservation Society »

» MarineBio@Facebook

» MarineBio's Group@Facebook

MarineBio@Twitter

» The MarineBio Blog

» MarineBio's Ocean Channel

» MarineBio's Species Database

» The MarineBio Conservation Society

MarineBio@Facebook
Colleges? Grad Schools? School listings? How to get started...

USC or Eckerd?

USC or Eckerd?

Postby trojan-or-triton » 3/4/12

Hello everyone! I was hoping that you all could provide advice on which college I should go to if I want to become either a marine mammalogist or a marine mammal veterinarian. The two colleges I am deciding between are The University of Southern California or Eckerd College. The University of Southern California is a top notch school with tremendous resources but they do not have a marine biology major whereas Eckerd has a great marine biology program but is a smaller school with fewer financial resources. Based on what I have read, some people encourage prospective marine biologists to study a general science at a prestigious school and specialize later on but others encourage a marine biology undergraduate degree. What would you all recommend?
trojan-or-triton
...pl°a,n.kt°on...

Re: USC or Eckerd?

Postby Izzy » 3/9/12

It's a hard question, and a rather personal one. Contact some professors at the two schools - which ones have research you're interested in?

If you want to be a mammal vet you'll need a major pre-med set of classes. You should be able to get those anywhere.

But really, you can get a good education anywhere, you just have to make yourself a place.
~Izzy
Biological Oceanographer

If you think Education is expensive, try Ignorance.
"The inhabitants of the sea have much to teach us." ~Wyland
"I have slipped the bonds of Earth to dance with dolphins." :dolphin: ~Wyland
"If human civilization is going to invade the waters of the earth, then let it be first of all to carry a message of respect." ~ Jacques Cousteau
NOSB: A great way for high schoolers to learn about the oceans.
A whale killed a dolphin but he was acquitted because he didn't do it on porpoise.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
Izzy
~~moderator~~

Postby Marinebio4445 » 3/11/12

I would suggest University of Miami (I will be attending in the Fall). In addition to a great marine science program (number one in the country, one of the top five in the world), their pre-med program is very good. The "marine biology" major is actually a required double major, marine science and biology, so you get a really good basis in the core science skills while still taking classes in marine science and marine biology. The biology major will also help get through the pre-med courses without having to take as many additional. The campus is amazing, the location is probably the best for marine science (even better than Eckerd or USC), and they give really good merit-based and need-based scholarships and grants. I high suggest looking into it :)
"If there is magic on this planet it is contained in the water"

Jon
Marinebio4445
><((fish((°>

Postby Ghanima » 4/4/12

I would choose USC. There are two marine mammal centers fairly close by, and you can also get experience volunteering or interning at the Aquarium of the Pacific. You'll also have access to the USC Wrigley Institute on Catalina Island. A bunch of my classmates just spent a semester there and said it was an amazing experience. This (http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx? ... nline=true) says we have 33 species of marine mammals in FL, versus 25 in Fl (according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ma ... ne_mammals). There are more dolphins in FL, plus manatees, but more pinnipeds in CA, and the blue whale. It all depends what you are interested in.

You may also want to consider UC Santa Barbara as a location to study marine mammals.
Ghanima
<~~moray~~

Return to Marine Biology Degrees & Schools