about us
Since 1998, MarineBio has been a nonprofit volunteer marine conservation and science education group working together to spread the word about ocean life, marine biology, marine conservation, and a sea ethic.

Join the MarineBio Conservation Society »

» MarineBio@Facebook

» MarineBio's Group@Facebook

MarineBio@Twitter

» The MarineBio Blog

» MarineBio's Ocean Channel

» MarineBio's Species Database

» The MarineBio Conservation Society

MarineBio@Facebook
News about marine biology, ocean science, marine conservation, etc.

Giant Squid Captured, Filmed for First Time

Giant Squid Captured, Filmed for First Time

Postby Alison » 12/22/06

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... squid.html

Bigger photo *HERE*

Japanese Scientists Capture First-Ever Video of a Live Giant Squid

Tokyo, Japan (Dec 22, 2006 07:19 EST) A Japanese research team has succeeded in filming a giant squid live — possibly for the first time — and says the elusive creatures may be more plentiful than previously believed, a researcher said Friday.

The research team, led by Tsunemi Kubodera, videotaped the giant squid at the surface as they captured it off the Ogasawara Islands south of Tokyo earlier this month. The squid, which measured about 24-feet long, died while it was being caught.

“We believe this is the first time anyone has successfully filmed a giant squid that was alive,” said Kubodera, a researcher with Japan’s National Science Museum. “Now that we know where to find them, we think we can be more successful at studying them in the future.”

Giant squid, formally called Architeuthis, are the world’s largest invertebrates. Because they live in the depths of the ocean, they have long been wrapped in mystery and embellished in the folklore of sea monsters, appearing in ancient Greek myths or attacking the submarine in Jules Verne’s “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.”

The captured squid was caught using a smaller type of squid as bait, and was pulled into a research vessel “after putting up quite a fight,” Kubodera said.

“It took two people to pull it in, and they lost it once, which might have caused the injuries that killed it,” he said.

The squid, a female, was not fully grown and was relatively small by giant squid standards. The longest one on record is 60 feet, he said.

Kubodera and his team had been conducting expeditions in the area for about three years before they succeeded in making their first contact two years ago. Last year, the team succeeded in taking a series of still photos of one of the animals in its natural habitat — also believed to have been a first.

Until the team’s successes, most scientific study of the creatures had to rely on partial specimens that had washed ashore dead or dying or had been found in the digestive systems of whales or very large sharks.

Kubodera said whales led his team to the squid. By finding an area where whales fed, he believed he could find the animals. He also said that, judging by the number of whales that feed on them, there may be many more giant squid than previously thought.

“Sperm whales need from 500 to 1,000 kilograms (1,100-2,200 pounds) of food every day,” he said. “There are believed to be 200,000 or so of them, and that would suggest there are quite a few squid for them to be feeding on. I don’t think they are in danger of extinction at all.”

Source - http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php ... 2137106980

Another article with video - http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/12 ... index.html

Another video *HERE* :squid:

This is amazing, but I really wish they hadn't killed the poor thing. :( What a gorgeous animal.
Alison
~~moderator~~

Postby dinomatocyst » 12/22/06

WOW, thats amazing. hopefully the next attempt will be more successful. Is it possible to keep a giant squid in an aquarium?
There is always evil in this world. If you let it be it will fester, and by nature spread. But, if you put up your hand and challenge it, you may be one of thousands. It is not a single grand move of majestic triumph against a mighty foe that will save the world, for the chance of this rarely arises. Rather, it is the little things you can do, that the thousands can do, that will add up to save the future and heal the earth.

"For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons"
~~The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
long live space race, long live Molvania! ~Zladko

Only the educated are free ~ fortune cookie
dinomatocyst
><dolphin>>

Postby Athenia » 12/22/06

I wish it hadn't died as well, but it is very exciting that they caught it on video. Hopefully they can enter the squid's natural habitat to observe it peacefully in the near future.

And dinomatocyst, I personally don't think anyone has tried, so that is difficult to tell. My guess would be that they are either very temperamental or the tanks would not be large enough. They might need more water than can be provided, and could develop defects like their cousin the nautilus if held in captivity. But that's only speculation, of course.
"A mariner sat in the shrouds one night,
The wind was piping free;
Now bright, now dimmed, was the moonlight pale,
And the phospher gleamed in the wake of the whale,
As it floundered in the sea."

-ELIZABETH OAKES SMITH
Athenia
<or^ca><

Postby Cetacea » 12/22/06

Wow, awesome picture. But I do wish they hadn't killed it in the process. Why did they pull it on board, wouldn't it have been much more interesting to try and tag it? :( Amazing picture. Let's jsut hope they won't take up 'scientific' giant squid fishing
'I don’t think they are in danger of extinction at all.' ,-that sentence does not bode well at all I fear.....
As for keeping them in an aquarium, since hardly anything is known about them and they have barely ever been caught on film, I don't thnk anyone knows anything about keeping them in captivity just yet but no doubt there are a whole lot of people lined up ready to give it a try :roll: cough*$eaWorld*cough. Can you imagine what they would make out of an exhibit like that amd how much they would pay for a live specimen... THe more I think about it the more I wish they weren't getting increasingly closer to finding out more about their habits and lifestyle :(
"There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by observing prisoners held in solitary confinement" - Jacques Cousteau

We're not unique, just at one end of the spectrum.
Cetacea
<blue whale><

Postby Jimberoo » 12/22/06

That's impressive. Very impressive.

When I read it the first time I thought it said that they caught a giant squid 2-4 feet long, and was all "wel that's not very giant". Reading it properly is better haha.

Very little chance you could keep one in an aquarium, not considering the size of it.
~ James
^ Customary signature squiggly

The Silent World.

Green, Hawksbill, Loggerhead, Olive Ridley, Leatherback, Flatback & Kemp's Ridley: "The Seven Swimmers." - James R. Spotila.
Jimberoo
><dolphin>>

Postby David » 12/22/06

They should have put divers in the water immediately and shot video from there... doh.
David Campbell
MarineBio Founder/Director
>-<ºº>-<
~~~ Join the MarineBio Conservation Society and help us continue to share the wonders of
the ocean inspiring conservation, education, research, and a sea ethic. ~~~

Extending a sea ethic would mean recognizing the ocean’s importance to the continued existence of life on our planet and to human futures. From this recognition would flow an appropriate sense of moral imperative, commitment, and urgency—urgency toward ending overfishing and wasteful bycatch and aggressively rebuilding depleted ocean wildlife populations, stabilizing human effects on world climate, slowing habitat destruction, stemming global transport and accidental introduction of "alien" species, curbing the flow of contaminants and trash, developing sustainable seafood farming, cultivating an informed approach to the seafood marketplace, and implementing networks of protected areas in the sea. - Dr. Carl Safina

If you think you can, you might, if you think you can't, you never will. - Anon
Don't believe everything you think. - Anon
It's nice to be important. But it's much more important to be nice. - The Nature of Existence
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night. - Steve Martin
David
~~~admin~~~

Postby AngelPace » 12/22/06

Oh wow. And here I was imagining I would be the first person to film one alive *sits in corner and cries* But I thought there was something bigger than the giant squid, the collosal(sp?) squid. Was I wrong?
Animal preserves are NOT something you put on toast.

According to Genesis 9.2, all animals fear humans. Although it is true that many do, many do not. Sharks and grizzly bears, for example, are generally much less afraid of us than we are of them. ~Skeptics Annotated Bible

I love marine... things!
AngelPace
<<^shark><

Postby David » 12/22/06

There is some debate but estimates are that the Colossal squid is a bit bigger: http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=247
David Campbell
>-<ºº>-<
~~~ Join the MarineBio Conservation Society and help us continue to share the wonders of

Extending a sea ethic would mean recognizing the ocean’s importance to the continued existence of life on our planet and to human futures. From this recognition would flow an appropriate sense of moral imperative, commitment, and urgency—urgency toward ending overfishing and wasteful bycatch and aggressively rebuilding depleted ocean wildlife populations, stabilizing human effects on world climate, slowing habitat destruction, stemming global transport and accidental introduction of "alien" species, curbing the flow of contaminants and trash, developing sustainable seafood farming, cultivating an informed approach to the seafood marketplace, and implementing networks of protected areas in the sea. - Dr. Carl Safina

It's nice to be important. But it's much more important to be nice. - The Nature of Existence
David
~~~admin~~~

Postby Alison » 12/22/06

David (MB Admin) wrote:They should have put divers in the water immediately and shot video from there... doh.

Or used a pole cam, that would have been rad.
"We talk in circles, run in place, answers inches from our face." -Tim McIlrath
Alison
~~moderator~~

Postby David » 12/22/06

Good idea... YEP.
David Campbell
>-<ºº>-<

David
~~~admin~~~

Postby aquabubble:) » 12/22/06

Thats so amazing!
Life in the ocean is good...I Love It!!

"We know more about the surface of the moon than our oceans"

The abiliyy to speak doesnt make you intelligent
aquabubble:)
<or^ca><

Postby marinefreak » 12/22/06

OMGOSH...that picture is amazing. Those eyes! Wow! But unfortunately the video won't play...would anyone know why? Or could someone put in on YouTube?
marinefreak
...pl°a,n.kt°on...

Next

Return to Research & News