about us
Since 1998, MarineBio has been a nonprofit volunteer marine conservation and science education group working together to spread the word about ocean life, marine biology, marine conservation, and a sea ethic.

Join the MarineBio Conservation Society »

» MarineBio@Facebook

» MarineBio's Group@Facebook

MarineBio@Twitter

» The MarineBio Blog

» MarineBio's Ocean Channel

» MarineBio's Species Database

» The MarineBio Conservation Society

MarineBio@Facebook
Colleges? Grad Schools? School listings? How to get started...

Difference between marine biology and marine science?

Difference between marine biology and marine science?

Postby ocean_geek » 1/9/07

In terms of education, what is the difference in marine biology and marine science?
exploring yourself is like exploring the

ocean, it may take a while but in time you

will find that one perfect specimen
ocean_geek
><((fish((°>

Postby Izzy » 1/9/07

Marine science includes all forms of general oceanography, physical oceanography (tides, waves, etc.), chemical oceanography (sea salts, properties of water, etc.), geological oceanography (mid ocean ridges, sea floors, hydrothermal vents, and other geologic things), and engineering (underwater technology.) Also, biological oceanography is kinda like ocean ecology, in the sense that marine biology is studying more individual organisms, and biological oceanography studies the whole ecosystem and it's interconnections.

Marine biology is the study of ocean life.

I hope that helped, at least some. I'm a firm believer that they're all very connected and one can not be understood without the others. (With the possible exclusion of engineering :P... sorry all you engineers... no offense meant.)
~Izzy
Biological Oceanographer

If you think Education is expensive, try Ignorance.
"The inhabitants of the sea have much to teach us." ~Wyland
"I have slipped the bonds of Earth to dance with dolphins." :dolphin: ~Wyland
"If human civilization is going to invade the waters of the earth, then let it be first of all to carry a message of respect." ~ Jacques Cousteau
NOSB: A great way for high schoolers to learn about the oceans.
A whale killed a dolphin but he was acquitted because he didn't do it on porpoise.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
Izzy
~~moderator~~

Postby happysoul_4556 » 1/11/07

so if i want to be a marine mammalogist, i have to take the marine biology course and not the marine science course??
"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat." - Jacques Yves Cousteau
happysoul_4556
<<^shark><

Postby Cetacea » 1/12/07

happysoul_4556 wrote:so if i want to be a marine mammalogist, i have to take the marine biology course and not the marine science course??

I don't think it will make a difference as Marine Mammal Science is a Masters course, I would be very suprised if they did not accept a Bachelor in marine science as a foundation. Although I'm, quite happy with my course, Marine biology and Zoology, only had to do oceanography in the first year for that....which to me is a good thing. It 's ok and can be quite interesting (at leasxt chemical oceanography) but I'd rather spend more time on biology or zoology courses :D
"There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by observing prisoners held in solitary confinement" - Jacques Cousteau

We're not unique, just at one end of the spectrum.
Cetacea
<blue whale><

Postby Dr. James B. Wood » 1/12/07

Depends on what you want to do - if you want to focus more on animal behvior then go for biology. If you want to look at the physics of how echo location works in different water layers, oceanography and physics would help you more. Both paths are related and work together.
Dr. James B. Wood
Associate Director, Waikiki Aquarium

The Cephalopod Page: http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/

Director of Invertebrates: http://marinebio.org/
Dr. James B. Wood
><dolphin>>

Postby Kleophon » 1/12/07

You should take both. That way you can get an overall idea of the ocean science while also looking at the specific life that exists in the ocean through marine biology.
Kleophon

Postby happysoul_4556 » 1/12/07

That helps me. Thanks a lot.
"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat." - Jacques Yves Cousteau
happysoul_4556
<<^shark><

Postby Ryan3T » 1/28/07

Any schools in Florida offer just a Marine Biology degree? I'll probally end up doing Marine Science but I was just wondering.
Ryan3T

Return to Marine Biology Degrees & Schools